This tasty, sugar-free slice is perfect for the weekend and comes from our friends at Live Lighter.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 35 mins
Type of recipe: snacks, low-fat sweets
- olive or canola oil spray
- 2 medium apples, core removed, coarsely grated with skin on
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 2 cups dates, seeded
- 2 cups natural muesli
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup wholemeal plain flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (160ºC fan forced).
- Lightly spray a slice tin (approx. 25x30cm) with oil.
- Add apple, water, margarine and dates to a small saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for a further 5 minutes until the apple is soft.
- Cook uncovered for a further 5 minutes and stir occasionally until mixture thickens to a paste-like consistency.
- While apple and date mixture is cooking, place muesli in a large frypan. Stir over low heat for 5 minutes until lightly browned.
- Sift flours into a large bowl, returning husk remaining in the sieve to the bowl.
- Add cinnamon and muesli to the flours and mix to combine.
- Stir into the date mixture then spoon into prepared tin.
- Bake for 20 minutes until firm.
- Cool in tin before cutting.
This recipe has been reproduced with permission from LiveLighter. LiveLighter is a public health campaign which aims to educate adults about the risks associated with being overweight or obese and help them make simple, lasting changes to their lifestyles. For more information, visit livelighter.com.au