A midweek favourite that also looks awesome. By Emily Williamson for Loving Earth
Millet is one of my favourite gluten free grains with a lovely fluffy texture it substitutes perfectly into recipes in place of couscous. Full of B-vitamins, magnesium and acting as a prebiotic, this fluffy little seed is a must try!
This salad is my celebration of Middle Eastern flavours combining earthy millet, soft eggplant, bursts of zingy pomegranate and the crunchiness of pumpkin seeds. Perfect as a main on its own or as a side with other Middle Eastern inspired dishes.
Eggplant, Millet & Pomegranate Salad
• 1 cup millet
• 1 cup vegetable stock
• 1 large eggplant
• 1 tbsp Coconut Oil, melted
• 1 tsp sumac
• ½ tsp cumin seeds
• 1 pomegranate, seeds removed
• 1 cup of mint leaves, roughly chopped
• ½ red onion, diced
• 1 handful Pumpkin Seeds
• 1 handful pistachios
• juice of ½ large lemon
• 1 tbsp tahini
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 200ºC and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Add the millet, stock and 1 cup of water to a pot and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and add a pinch of salt & cover, cook for 20 minutes with out stirring or taking the lid off. Remove from the heat and and let stand for 10 minutes before fluffin with a fork, season with additional salt if you like.
- Chop the eggplant into 1cm cubes and place on the baking tray. Pour ove the melted coconut oil, sprinkle over the sumac & cumin seeds . With clean hands give the eggplant a good toss and place in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden and soft.
- Next make the dressing by combining the lemon juice, tahini, olive oil, coconut nectar and a little salt and pepper in a jar. Give it a good shake and set aside.
- Add the millet, pomegranate, mint and red onion to a bowl or on a large serving plate. Pour over the dressing and combine then sprinkly over the pumpkin seeds and chopped pistachios.